[RMCProfile-users] Little Tool for Structure Configuration

Zhang, Yuanpeng zhangy3 at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 5 17:36:01 GMT 2024

Dear RMCProfile Users,

Happy New Year!

Just want to share an interesting tool that we developed recently for structure configuration visualization and preparation. The tool is available publicly at https://addie.ornl.gov/conf_viewer

First, it can be used for viewing CIF or RMCProfile config conveniently on the web -- the intention for sure is NOT to replace the local tools such as CrystalMaker, VESTA, OVITO, etc. but could be used a handy tool on the web with easy access.

Built on top of the powerful `data2config` tool (credit to Martin Dove), this tool can be used as a converter between CIF and RMCProfile config. This seems redundant, but 1) easy access via the web is a thing, 2) `data2config` itself cannot deal with some practical situations -- for example, when the same type of atom occupies two different sites with different occupancies, we would have issues with `data2config`, in which case one has to play around with the CIF and generate the structure in a workaround way. I built some Python wrapper around `data2config` concerning such complicated practical situations and through the web interface, we could submit a general CIF to generate RMCProfile configuration without extra efforts.

You are welcome to test it out and if any comments/feedback, please feel free to get in touch with myself (zhangy3 at ornl.gov<mailto:zhangy3 at ornl.gov>) or leave comments here (https://powder.ornl.gov/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)

Cheers,
Yuanpeng

--

Dr. Yuanpeng Zhang
Neutron Scattering Scientist

Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1 bethel valley road, Oak Ridge, TN 37830, US
Mobile: +1(865)-335-4818
Email: zhangy3 at ornl.gov<mailto:zhangy3 at ornl.gov> | Web: https://www.iris2020.net<https://www.iris2020.net/>