[RMCProfile-users] X-ray PDF use

Chris Kerr cjk34 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 2 19:02:53 GMT 2013

The current version of RMCprofile has no support for x-ray PDF. The reason for this is
that it is essentially impossible to calculate a PDF accurately from an x-ray S(Q) unless
all the atoms in the material have the same or very similar q-dependent scattering
factors (i.e. they are the same or at least nearby elements) or the structure is known
beforehand.

x-ray PDF is something we are thinking of adding in version 7, although even then it
won't be very useful except under rather strict conditions.

For very small nanoparticles you can simply set up a supercell containing a nanoparticle
and some of the surrounding matrix. Support for larger nanoparticles is one of the
features planned for version 7.1 or so, but I'm not involved with developing this so I
don't know any details.