[RMCProfile-users] G(r) from X-ray diffraction data

David Keen - UKRI STFC david.keen at stfc.ac.uk
Fri May 18 09:58:58 BST 2018

Dear Clemens

The simplest way to do this is to "pretend" that the X-ray G(r) is a neutron G(r), whilst explicitly specifying the scattering coefficients based on the number of electrons (rather than letting RMCProfile calculate them for you).  This isn't rigorously correct but is what most people do when analysing their X-ray PDF data - what Yuanpeng is working on will be much better (even if slower...).  The other alternative is to fit the X-ray data in reciprocal space which is correctly incorporated into RMCProfile.

Here is an example from a material that I was studying:

MATERIAL :: Ca3Al2(O4D4)3
ATOMS :: Ca Al O D

NEUTRON_REAL_SPACE_DATA :: 1
  > FILENAME :: Xray_PDFdata.gofr
  > DATA_TYPE :: G(r)
  > FIT_TYPE :: G(r)
  > START_POINT :: 160
  > END_POINT :: 1500
  > NEUTRON_COEFFICIENTS :: 0.053554 0.046413 0.171372 0.021422 0.010056 0.074261 0.009283 0.137098 0.034274 0.002142
  > NO_FITTED_SCALE
  > CONSTANT_OFFSET ::   0.0000
  > WEIGHT ::   0.010

This is for a G(r) function which has a low-r value defined by Equation(15) of my paper (J. Appl. Cryst. 34, 172 (2001)) and tends to zero at high-r

The coefficients are calculated based on Equation(64) in the same paper - i.e. the separate pre-factors for each [g_ij(r) - 1] in the summation - and by using the number of electrons for each atom you are effectively ignoring the variations in the Q-dependent nature of the form-factors.

Hopefully this will allow you to get your refinements working - and you can cross-check what you are doing with the details for Ca3Al2(O4D4)3 above.  If my numbers aren't right then I probably don't want to know - because the paper on this work is already published! [Phys Chem Miner 45, 333 (2018) doi:10.1007/s00269-017-0923-0 if you are interested.]

Best wishes
Dave