[RMCProfile-users] Generating starting files from topas refinement

Zhang, Yuanpeng zhangy3 at ornl.gov
Wed Dec 16 13:55:05 GMT 2020

Hi Mikkel,

I developed a Python GUI to help us preparing Topas profile for running RMC, with which we go beyond the limitation of several specific choices of peak profiles through the approach of profile tabulation.

The idea is described in our recent paper: https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600576720013254 (BTW, people using weight optimization for RMC fitting are also welcome to cite this paper).

We have not documented it yet in RMCProfile manual but in the GUI you can find some help information and also I will put down the input in RMCProfile .dat file as below.

To install the GUI, one needs to first install Anaconda. Then from windows terminal (search for either cmd or powershell from `Start`), execute the following commands,

  1.  conda create -n rmc python=3.8
  2.  conda activate rmc
  3.  conda install -c apw247 topas4rmc

If everything works as expected, one should get a shortcut on Desktop and also in the `Start` menu for the program `Topas4RMC`.

Then one can go to the `help` tab in the GUI to read instructions. Hopefully, it will be self-explaining, but if not, please reach out to myself.

In RMC .dat file, we need the following input,

```
BRAGG ::
  > BRAGG_SHAPE :: topas
  > TOPAS_PARAMETERS :: 0.456786434 4
  > DMIN :: 0.5
  > SUPERCELL :: 40 40 40
  > WEIGHT :: 1.0
```

where the two numbers following ` TOPAS_PARAMETERS` specifies the scale factor (obtained through Rietveld refinement in Topas) and the index of `xdd` section (in Topas .inp file) that we want to use for RMC fitting.

PS: due to the flexibility in the format of Topas .inp file, my little GUI is expected to be a bit buggy in processing the .inp file. So, please feel free to reach out to me if issues encountered.

Cheers
Yuanpeng

--

Dr. Yuanpeng Zhang
Computational Instrument Scientist

Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1 bethel valley road, Oak Ridge, TN 37830, US
Mobile: +1(865)-335-4818
Email: zhangy3 at ornl.gov<mailto:zhangy3 at ornl.gov> | Web: https://www.iris2020.net<https://www.iris2020.net/>