[RMCProfile-users] Issue with multiple scattering paths - EXAFS

Martin Schon martin.schon at ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 13 16:49:39 BST 2020

Hi Yuanpeng,

Thank you so much for looking into it. I was indeed running the 6.7.7 version. Now with 6.6.8 the multiple scattering paths work well. Sorry for bothering you with such a trivial issue.

But I have to bother you once more, because now, I'm running into two more issues with these data sets:

1. When I do the fitting, chi^2 increases for long periods of time. So I'm trying FIT_OPTIMIZATION to fix that. However, when I do that (see attached NiO_V2.dat file for which parameters I use), the simulation runs till it hits the saving point and then I get the following error:

 forrtl: severe (408): fort: (8): Attempt to fetch from allocatable variable DIFF3DRESDER when it is not allocated
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB928DE1  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB7FC2DD  MOD_RMCA_mp_RES_D        7732  rmcprofile_rmca.f90
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB7B2BE5  MOD_RMCA_mp_RMCA_        3572  rmcprofile_rmca.f90
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB5CB9FC  MAIN__                   1507  rmcprofile.f90
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6ABA39412  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6ABA452E8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
KERNEL32.DLL       00007FF99DA46FD4  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          00007FF99F5DCEC1  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

Do I somehow need to specify how the weights are adjusted for the fit optimization to work?

2. I am trying to constrain the coordination number with AVERAGE_COORDINATION_CONSTRAINTS, but the simulation crashed before even running the first iteration with the following error

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit -5, file Internal List-Directed Read
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB926AE8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB94BEB5  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB874DEF  MOD_RMCA_READ_DAT        5156  rmcprofile_rmcaread.f90
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6AB5C84AF  MAIN__                   1289  rmcprofile.f90
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6ABA39412  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
rmcprofile.exe     00007FF6ABA452E8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
KERNEL32.DLL       00007FF99DA46FD4  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          00007FF99F5DCEC1  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

Both are probably user error, but I can't figure out how to fix it and any input would be greatly appreciated. I attached the .dat file with both of the problematic commands right before the END command and I ran it on the data set I already sent you. Let me know if I should open a new thread on the mailing list for this.

I'm pretty excited for the RMC profile results for my datasets, since there seems to be an amorphous to amorphous phase transition and it would be really interesting to model this beyond standard EXAFS!

Thank you!

Cheers,
Martin