[RMCProfile-users] Refinement of Uiso

Playford, Helen (STFC,RAL,ISIS) helen.playford at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 13:08:20 GMT 2020

Hi Andy,

I know we've just been talking about this offline, but I wanted to respond here in case anyone else is wondering.

RMCProfile doesn't take information on thermal displacement from the GSAS/Rietveld refinement. The initial (unrefined) RMC configuration should produce calculated Bragg peaks that are more intense than the data, as though all your thermal displacements were set to zero (which in effect they are, because the initial configuration has all the atoms on their ideal crystallographic sites).

During the RMCProfile refinement the atoms will move away from these ideal positions according to the Bragg (and other) data. If you take a refined supercell and collapse it back down onto the initial unit cell you should see "clouds" or clusters of atoms around each of the crystallographic sites - these are pretty much equivalent to thermal ellipsoids, except they are not constrained to be any particular shape.

I will take a look at the files you sent and get back to you off the list shortly.

Best wishes,
Helen