[RMCProfile-users] [EXTERNAL] Refinement of Uiso

Zhang, Yuanpeng zhangy3 at ornl.gov
Tue Oct 27 13:25:41 GMT 2020

Hi Andy,

I am not sure I get your point, but actually we are not refining Uiso as parameter in RMCProfile, since RMC method itself is not a parameterized approach for fitting data.

Really what we are doing with RMC method is that we create a supercell (or as people call it as 'big-box') containing a lot of atoms. Then by adjusting atom positions explicitly and calculating the signal (total scattering, EXAFS, etc.) afterwards, we are going to determine whether or not to accept moves depending on whether or not the promoted moves make the agreement with experimental data better.

Then after we are satisfied with the fitting (i.e. the agreement with experimental data looks good to us, both visually and statistically), we can grab the atomic configuration that we obtained from the RMC fitting and calculate the atomic displacement parameters (by collapsing the supercell back into unit cell) using the tool 'thermal_ellipsoid' that comes together with RMCProfile package.

I hope this helps you a bit. But if any questions, please feel free to either post it here or get in touch with myself directly.

Cheers
Yuanpeng

--

Dr. Yuanpeng Zhang
Computational Instrument Scientist

Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1 bethel valley road, Oak Ridge, TN 37830, US
Mobile: +1(865)-335-4818
Email: zhangy3 at ornl.gov | Web: https://www.iris2020.net <https://www.iris2020.net/>